therefore, in an effort to be better, i've started keeping a little post-it with the share contents on my desktop at work... hoping that it will inspire me... and it finally worked...
last night, before i left work i called the meat-eater to ask what we'd be doing for dinner... we knew there was guacamole in the cards but what else? leftovers? bah. salad? bah. i finally suggested stuffed zucchini and while the meat-eater was less than enthused, he agreed...
so i scoured the internet for some options... many included beef which just wasnt happening. others included boring, which just wasnt happening either... so i did what i like to do best - found a couple recipes that sounded good and mash them all up into one... and cross my fingers...
courtesy of me
1/3 of a baguette
1 tbsp butter
3/4 c couscous
1 1/8 c vegetable broth (or water + bouillon)
2 medium/large zucchini, halved
2 small zucchini, cut into pieces
1/2 of a medium sized red onion
3 small carrots, cut into dice-sided pieces
4 c loosely packed spinach
1 egg, lightly beaten
4-6 oz medium cheddar, half shredded and half diced
Preheat oven to 325°
Prepare baguettes to be used in stuffing:
- Slice baguette into rounds, no bigger than 1" thick.
- Arrange on cookie sheet and place in the oven ~ 15 minutes, or until dried/crisp (but not browned).
- Set aside & raise oven temp to 400°
- heat 1 tbsp butter over med heat.
- when butter is melted, add couscous, stir, and 'toast' for ~ 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Once broth is boiling, remove from heat and cover and let sit for ~6 minutes or more.
- Fluff with fork & set aside.
- Slice large zucchini in half, brush cut side with olive oil & place, cut side down, on cookie sheet (line with aluminum or parchment for easier cleanup)
- Place in oven ~15 minutes or until zucchini is soft
- When zucchini is done, remove from oven and scoop out the insides - including juices - (just leave little 'shells') and set aside.
- Reduce oven temp to 350°
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan over med heat.
- Add onions & carrots, stirring and cooking until onions are transparent ~ 5 mins
- Add cut up zucchini & keep cooking.
- Add the zucchini that was scooped out of the shells
- Tear the crispy baguette into stuffing sized pieces and add 1 c to the pan.
- Add spinach, in batches, and wilt.
- Add ~ 1/3 to 1/2 c of cooked couscous
- Remove from heat.
- Add diced cheese + 1/2 of the shredded cheese and stir until the shredded cheese has melted.
- Allow to cool a bit and then add the egg, stirring to ensure that egg does not 'cook' in the pan.
Place back in the oven for ~20 minutes, or until cheese is melty and stuffing is firm. Serve warm.